Monday, May 3, 2010

The Road Trip: Leg 5 (to Arles)

And in Arles, we rested. And bathed. At the very luxurious Hotel d'Arlatan.

Disappointingly, dinner was only ok. I won't bother mentioning the place by name.

BTW, the last time I was in Arles, I came in on the train. I remember being surprised by the way that French drivers careened around the narrow streets, without regard for pedestrians. This time, I was one of those drivers, and I realize now there's no other way to drive in Arles, when the single lane, one way streets don't quite line up across intersections, and there's no room to make the three point turn that would otherwise be required if one didn't drive on the sidewalk. Sorry.

And it was incredible to go from the rich, verdant, hills of the Pyrenees, through the flat farmlands to the east, and end up in dry, rocky Provence (though Arles was green and lovely). Also, the next time we go driving along small mountain roads, I want a sports car.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment